Eötvös Loránd University, University Library

Phone: 
+36 30 202 3382

The University Library was founded in 1561 by the Jesuit order; it is the oldest library in the country, which was opened to the public in 1876. Until 1949 the Library specialized in the history of religion, theology, philosophy and the universal history of the middle Ages and the Modern Age. The historical collection - including 185 codices, 1150 incunabula and 2600 old Hungarian printed books published before 1711, 7000 volumes from the 16th century, and the oldest manuscript, an 8th century Beda fragment - is part of the Hungarian cultural heritage.